Saturday, February 26, 2022

Me on the Map Flipbooks


I LOVE all things maps, globes, geography... you name it!  

In my classroom I had a collection of globes displayed throughout the room.  One of my favorite back-to-school activities was 'Classroom Detective' where students had to explore the room and get to know the space.  The last question was always: How many globes does Mrs. Oas have? I remember hearing "Oh, there's another one!" or "That one has two globes on it!" or even "Don't forget the globe pen on her desk!"  I think there were so many globes they often counted them multiple times.  

Oh well.  

The take away?  

They knew I LOVED globes!  This then lead into sharing my passion of traveling and learning about the world as much as I could! 

My 2nd favorite activity is then teaching geography and some basic map skills with a 'Me on the Map' flipbook.  I originally saw examples online but never felt inspired by what was out there... so I did what I often do... I CREATED my own! 

I would cut and paste all the different layers of maps starting with the Earth and slowly working down to our school neighborhood.  I assembled the books and copied all the maps they would need to cut and paste and we'd work a little each day to finish by the end of the week.  

This is what a finished flipbook would look like: 


We'd hang them around the room and at the end of the year I would put them into their 'Memory Books' to save as a keepsake.  

As I've been creating products for TpT I just knew I needed to create a digital version of this flipbook so others could share my LOVE of geography too!  I had to brainstorm the best way to make it accessible for each state, so it didn't require too much 'extra prep' on the teachers to get them ready.  

What did I end up with?  

50 INDIVIDUAL US STATE 'Me on the Map' FLIPBOOKS! 

It's been a long week getting them published but they're ready to go! 




I LOVE how the new digital version that's READY-TO-PRINT turned out and hope they'll be useful for others too! 

Click here to find your state and download:  Me on the Map Flipbooks

As I wrap this up here at home, sitting in our 'office' and staring at the hanging world map thinking, where will we travel next?  I hope you all continue to explore the world around you and travel often! 

Find your balance,
Shelby Oas 



No comments:

Post a Comment